AURORA of Central New York, Inc. is a 501 (c) 3 not-for-profit organization with a 95+ year history of promoting independence, opportunity and full access for individuals of all ages who are blind, visually impaired, Deaf, hard-of-hearing, late deafened and deaf blind. The agency is dedicated to being a leader in the field and is committed to:
- Providing high quality services that empower individuals to achieve their highest potential and fullest level of participation in their homes, schools, on the job and in the community;
- Advocating for the elimination of barriers and attitudes that hinder this participation;
- Educating all citizens on the causes, treatment and management of these disabilities; and
- Organizing resources necessary to support these efforts.
At AURORA of Central New York WE BELIEVE:
- AURORA should foster quality of life and a sense of valued personal worth for people with vision or hearing loss, including independence and autonomy, personal esteem and dignity in all endeavors.
- People with vision or hearing loss should have opportunities to participate fully in education, employment, and community life.
- The opportunity to self- advocate is an essential ingredient to ensure full and equal access for people with sensory loss.
- The people we serve should have optimum access to a comprehensive range of services provided or coordinated by AURORA.
- Services should be provided in a professional, caring and empowering way.
- Our services should be provided in the most cost effective way.
- Our fundraising goals and objectives should preserve the integrity of our mission statement and the values upheld by AURORA.
- AURORA has the responsibility to serve as a leader in the field.